Tuesday, 16 November 2010

How the Background to LaziDazi came About

 Hello All


This scrappy little watercolour which I painted years ago became the basis for my first fibre art still life. I've always liked contre-jour (against the light) paintings so I thought I'd give it a bash in my new found medium.








Jug and Daisies
watercolour 5" x 5 "
Still Life with Cup           Fibre Art 13"x 13"

I started by painting a piece of cotton fabric (something like calico) with Pebeo Setacolor paints. I think I wet the surface first ( like you do for wet in wet watercolour) so the colour would mingle and the edges would be soft. Next came the rummaging through all my bit and pieces -old blouse I wore at my sister's wedding (lacy bit), a lovely shot piece of blue/red organza, pre-felt (made with bits of throwsters waste), beads, merino tops, angelina fibres and ribbon. All this was then embellished on to the surface with my embellishing machine. After I'd got the main body of it together I started to free motion embroider. Something of which I have no experience. Do you see metallic thread? Oh my goodness what fun and games I had with this! I think I've sussed it now though. You need a topstitch or a metallic needle. Lastly but by no means least I added a few beads. Voila! There you have it and another part of my life begins. 

Take care and get creating, you know you must! 

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous! Would I ever have the patience? Not at the moment... I'll just watch what you do here!

    ReplyDelete