Wednesday, 16 February 2011

Textile Waistcoat

I thought I'd show you a few things I've been doing lately.

This is the start of a waistcoat. I collected lots of different bits of fabric I have - curtain fabric  (from an old selection book from a fabric shop, £5), old lace doilies, muslin, ticking, linen. I made sure they were all tonally similar and washed them. I used a base of curtain lining  and the back and facing is muslin lined with normal polyester lining.

I stitched all the pieces, using many different stitches, to the curtain lining, not worrying about any edges as I think the raw edges add to the look. There are couple of printed pieces of muslin and some French knots too.

I'm very pleased with it and the only thing I bought especially was the pattern and some pale blue embroidery floss.
Tattered Owl
Little Rose Brooch
'I Remember' Brooch

'Gentle Natured' Brooch 
Landscape Cuff


This is embellished wool tops, silk tops. wensleydale curls and yarn on to felt, finished with satin stitch , beads and a vintage wooden button.

Oh well!


7 comments:

  1. Ooh lots of scrummy things. I especially love the gently natured brooch, my colours I think. Also that owl is wonderful - wise and loving he looks to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very LOVELY! And how patient you are... Will you be wearing your waistcoat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Su and Bern. Yes, Bern I wore it on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your waistcoat is beautiful Fran and I love the owl and brooches too. Hope you find your 'Gold Lace' - they are pretty hardy or I wouldn't still have one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Heather. I think it's just coming through. It is on the chilly side of the house so it's forgiven for not being in flower yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment. Your waistcoat is so innovative yet still stylish - I love the fabrics you have used, and the brooches are gorgeous too. I have left a belated comment on your previous post as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Heather. How nice of you to come back again. My Gold Lace did flower by the way!

    ReplyDelete