Sunday, 15 February 2015

A Felted Painting with Free Motion Embroidery

Goodness I haven't been here for ages!


I have been inspired by Moy Mackay who creates the most beautiful images in felt and embroidery. You can check out her gallery here. (I now have to remind myself what to do in Blogsy)

Moy Mackay Gallery Home - Moy Mackay Gallery (oh well this way works until I've got my bearings again).

So I decided to have a go and being the sort of person who wants to achieve an end by the quickest route I laid out my fleece (merino tops) onto a very cheap jcloth type dish cloth. (I will explain in a bit). As roses are a favourite of mine pink roses it is. The lighter bits are silk tops which give it a bit of a lift and seem to separate nicely giving some texture. Moy lays out her colours on a base of cream fleece first but I didn't.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next step was to put another cloth on top. Before I did this I gave the cloth a quick spray of temporary fabric adhesive to help hold things in place. After this I tacked it all around the edges and across the middle with very large stitches.

Yay, now... was this going to work? I put it on its own in the washing machine and did a 20 min express wash at 30 deg. No it didn't. So the next morning I did it again the same but added a towel to the wash to bash it about a bit.

This is the front and this is the back.

It looked better and more as if it had felted. I didn't want to increase the temperature in case it shrunk too much and was unrecognisable. So now the unveiling.... Unpick the stitches and pull the cloth away from the fibres.

 
I then let it dry in the airing cupboard.

Well it sort of worked but parts had to be needle felted down as I had a few leaves hanging precariously from it (more experimentation in the wash department needed perhaps). But that's ok it's quite nice to do with my flat brush and gadget. The needle felting tool only has 4 and a bit needles now instead of 5.

 

To flatten it out a bit I pressed it under a damp cloth. Moy irons iron-on interfacing on the back of hers to stabilise it for machining but mine seemed to be quite thick as it was so I left it.

Now for the next exciting bit - the free motioning. It's a while since I've done it but once I got the hang of it it was fun to do. I wanted to keep the balance between stitching and the natural effects of the wool and colours so I kept the amount of free motion to a minimum. Moy adds hand embroidery too and that I would have done had it needed it.

So there it is and all in all I'm very pleased with it! I do like the bits of silk. You can have a go too. X